The other day, Hannah of Eat Sleep Breathe Travel nominated me for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers award! Thanks lady!
If you’re nominated, be sure to give a shoutout to your nominator and answer the questions asked of you. Once finished, nominate a few of your own favorite female bloggers and give them ten more questions to answer. Let’s get going!
1) What made you ‘catch’ the travel bug?
After having to deal with with terrible roommates freshman year of college, I decided to study abroad first semester sophomore year to get away: I went to Florence, Italy. I had had a feeling that I would love living abroad, but I didn’t know that it would change my life forever. Two weeks into studying abroad, I was looking out the window while on a train to Sienna, taking in the stunning landscapes, and felt in my gut that I needed to continue traveling. This was four years ago.
2) What is your dream trip (feel free to be as far-fetched as you like)?
After reading Torre DeRoche’s Love With A Chance Of Drowning, I can say that, without a doubt, my dream trip is to sail through French Polynesia. Preferably with a beautiful, kind man by my side, but I can’t be that picky 😉
3) What is the strangest thing you have done while travelling?
I ate a fat, juicy caterpillar with a tribe in Namibia, Africa. I've never been hesitant when it comes trying to non-Western food, in fact I look forward to it, but I can’t say that I ever want to try that again…
4) What is the kindest thing someone has ever done for you while travelling?
Upon missing my connection in Santiago, Chile en route to San Pedro de Atacama, I began chatting with a woman in the same situation. It just so happened that she was the CEO of the Metropolitan Touring, the company that ran the tour that I took to the Galápagos Islands. After hearing about my brother’s struggles with Cystic Fibrosis and his difficulties traveling, she enabled him to experience the trip of a lifetime, all thanks to her kindness and generosity.
5) What is the best meal you ever ate, and where?
Wasabi Glazed Alpaca in Cusco, Peru. It was the most tender, flavorful meat that have ever had. Everyone must try it!
6) What is your worst travel experience?
Three weeks into my second study abroad (Buenos Aires, Argentina), I went into the Argentinian desert in search of a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We confirmed and reconfirmed with the bus driver where we were to get off for our hostel, and yet, he dropped us off on the side of the road. There was nothing in site. No people, no houses, no cars, no restaurants, no cell service. All that we could do was walk, so we walked and walked. Fast-forward 12 hours later: we were cold, worried, and hungry. We had no idea where we were or how we were going to reach our destination. At last, two guys in a white truck picked us up and drove us to our hostel. It was 1am, we didn’t speak a common language, and I was just praying that we would actually reach our hostel. We did.
7) What is your best travel ‘secret’ (booking tip/ lesser known location/ local hotspot etc)?
Pack/roll your clothes with fabric softener sheets to leave your clothes smelling fresh 🙂
8) Top 3 must-have songs for a trip on your iPod?
9) Best advice you have for a female traveller?
Don’t let stereotypes hold you back. You’re more than capable of going on an incredible journey with or without a man by your side…just do your research. You’re bound to meet truly lovely people along the way.
10) In your opinion, where in the world (that you have been) are the best looking guys?
Two places: South Africa and Ireland. No question. Plus, those accents…
Hannah, you rock. Let’s find out a bit more from these awesome ladies:
- Michelle of Trail the Sun
- Maaike of Travellous World
- Shelly of Norway to Nowhere
- Annemarie of Travel on the Brain
- Karisa of Flirting with the Globe
- Alyssa of My Life’s a Movie
- Ariana of The Bosnian Aussie
- Alexa of She Tells Travel Tales
- When did you first travel abroad, and to where?
- If you could pick one favorite experience from your travels, which would it be?
- Do you party it up in every new place, or do you prefer a quiet night inside?
- What “must-have” electronics do you bring with you?
- Since we are all girls here, how many pairs of shoes do you pack?
- Do you prefer to travel with a plan and rough itinerary, or would you rather wing it?
- What’s your favorite travel app?
- Would you rather travel solo or with someone you barely knew?
- What’s one thing you won’t get on a plane without?
- In your opinion, what’s the best accent?