Last month I was nominated for the Liebster Award by Penny of One Penny Tourist – Thanks Penny! It's nice to get little bits of recognition for this blog every once in a while 🙂
Time to find out more fun facts about The Five Foot Traveler!
1) How did you decide on the title of your blog, and what’s it about?
At first my blog was entitled “Blonde, Brains, Buenos Aires,” and focused solely on my study abroad experience in Argentina. When I began traveling outside of Argentina, I wanted to have a broader blog name so I narrowed it down to about four different names and ultimately went with The Five Foot Traveler for two reasons: 1) it’s general and non-country specific and 2) people tend to comment on my height, or lack there of, so I decided to own it.
2) Can you give 11 random facts or pieces of trivia about yourself?
- I’m a blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do
- I used to have to be physically dragged, sobbing onto an airplane because I had a crippling fear of flying
- I’ve gotten a piggyback ride from Bono on stage at Madison Square Garden
- An 8 year old once thought I was 11 years old due to my short stature
- Bartending has funded all of my travels
- When I live at home, I’m vegan(ish)
- I ate a juicy (and disgusting) caterpillar in Africa
- I have torn labrums and biceps in both arms, which can make traveling with a heavy pack quite a challenge
- I’ve gotten a hug from my three favorite musicians – Bono, Damien Rice, and Glen Hansard
- I first tried flying trapeze at five years old, and it’s still one of my greatest passions
- I polar plunged in Antarctica on Christmas Day
3) What is something you’ve been loving lately?
Outlander. Specifically, Jamie Fraser. Or Sam Heughan. Whichever you prefer. But, in all seriousness, the books are very interesting and entertaining, while the TV series is extremely well-acted and captivating.
4. What do you love the most about blogging?
Well it’s most definitely not the writing…
The thing I love most is that it connects me to others around the globe.
5. If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
- Healing of all illness, especially Cystic Fibrosis
- To eliminate all pain and suffering worldwide
- To continue having incredible, meaningful experiences throughout my lifetime
6. Where does your blog inspiration come from?
I wish that I had better documented my first study abroad experience in Florence and throughout the rest of Europe. In retrospect, it made me sad that I didn’t have any tangible evidence of my travels, so The Five Foot Traveler ultimately became my platform to share my experiences and inspire others. My hope is that it is both entertaining and informative for family, friends, and fellow travelers alike.
7. What is the one country in the world you would like to visit? Why?
Mo’orea, French Polynesia – it looks stunning!
8. You are stranded on a deserted island – what’s the one item you couldn’t live with out?
Does a kind, beautiful man with a great sense of humor and a lovely accent count?
9. A long-lost relative leaves you a large sum of money. What do you do with it?
I’d give a large percentage of it to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and other worthy charities, while putting the rest in savings/wise investments for me and my immediate family. Of course, a bit of it would be put toward traveling the world, but with my family by my side.
10. What is something you do when you need to take time for yourself?
Go off on my own, blast music, and sing at the top of my lungs (very poorly).
11. Where do you see yourself in five years time?
I hope to have a career that allows me to continue pursuing my passion: Travel.
- Michelle of Trail the Sun
- Natalie of The Educational Tourist
- Justine of Jusz Travel
- Mia of Travel with Mia
- Sharon of Me Want Travel
- Danielle of Gallivanting the Globe
- Amy of Dunn Days
- Paige of All Over The Map
- Kari of Words And Other Such Things
Instructions for Nominees:
- Answer the questions below and then comment on this post with your link when you are done so I can come and check out your answers.
- In your post, link back to the blog who nominated you with a thank you and shout out.
- After completing the questions, nominate 11 bloggers with under 200 followers and give them 11 questions of your own choice.
- Notify your nominees, and provide a link to your post so that they know what to do.
Here are your questions:
- How long have you been blogging?
- Can you give 11 random facts or pieces of trivia about yourself?
- What is your favorite travel story?
- What do you love the most about blogging?
- Do you prefer to camp, stay in hostels, or travel luxuriously?
- Why do you travel?
- What is the one country in the world you would like to visit? Why?
- You are stranded on a desert island – what’s the one item you couldn’t live with out?
- A long-lost relative leaves you a large sum of money. What do you do with it?
- What is your favorite dish from abroad?
- Where do you see yourself in five years time?